AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING CAREERS INDIAAugust 23rd, 2009 Posted by VFreshers
Aeronautical Engineering as a Career Option in India
If you are looking for a career that is exciting, challenging and sets your adrenalin flowing, then Aeronautical Engineering is for you. It is one of the most adventurous branch of engineering with a real wide bandwidth. Every day there is new innovation and design happening in the aviation industry and as an Aeronautical engineer you will be in the midst of it.
Aeronautical engineering is one career option that is not only rewarding monetarily but also will be able to give you immense job satisfaction like nothing else can. You will be in a career with a lot of sophistication and cutting edge technology.
You will be a part of the design & manufacturing using high-end technology. If you are a kind who loves the bonding of team work then this is where you will find it.
There are several areas that you could specialize in such as structural design, navigational guidance, control systems, instrumentation or production.
You could also become a part of the military aircrafts, commercial planes, helicopters, satellites or rockets.
Eligibility, Education and Degrees for Aeronautical Engineering:
- You must have a degree in B.E or B.Tech. At the lower end you might do with a diploma in aeronautics. There are several engineering colleges that offer you this along with the IITs and polytechnics.
- In order to get admission into any of these you must have a 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics and a good percentage certainly. You must also pass the qualifying exam of JEE which is conducted by the IITS. The selection for these is only by merit and passing the qualifying exams.
- There is also an Aeronautical Membership Examination of the Institute of Engineers (AMIE) which allows people in the public and private sector to study for Aeronautical Engineering by distance mode. The degree given by them is equivalent to a degree in Aeronautical engineering.
- The duration to get a recognized degree is 4 years and the diploma course takes about 2 to 3 years.
- A person who wants to become an Aeronautical Engineer must have certain inherent qualities such as an eye for detail, analytical bent of mind and be good at problem solving. They must have good mathematical, communication and interpersonal skills and also be well-versed with the finer aspects of designing. They must be physically fit, normal vision and no color blindness.
Job Prospects in Aeronautical Engineering:
There is no dearth of entry level jobs for people with an Aeronautical Engineering degree under their belt. They can work at the national, international levels in public, private or government agencies.
An Aeronautical Engineer can work with private Airlines or government owned ones such as Air India. They could also work for the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd., the Defense Research and Development Laboratories, Civil Aviation Department and the Indian Space Research Organization.
Aeronautical Engineering Job Profile / Designations:
A person will start as an engineer trainee or junior Engineer for training. After successful completion of training they will be recruited as assistant aircraft engineers or assistant technical officers. They have to pass periodic exams to gain promotions. They could also become consultants later on.
Aeronautical Engineer Salaries in India:
The pay range for an aeronautical engineer is anywhere between Rs 8000 to Rs 40000 including several liberal perks.