IT Software Engineer, Summer Internship – UBS, Connecticut, USApril 9th, 2011 Posted by jyothi
IT Software Engineer, Summer Internship – UBS, Connecticut, US:
Headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland, UBS is a global firm providing services to private, corporate and institutional clients. Its strategy is to focus on international wealth management, the Swiss banking business, investment banking and asset management.
UBS is present in all major financial centers worldwide. It has offices in over 50 countries, with about 36% of its employees working in the Americas, 36% in Switzerland, 15% in the rest of Europe and 13% in Asia Pacific. UBS employs more than 65,000 people around the world. Its shares are listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange, the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and the Tokyo Stock Exchange (TSE).
As an Information Technology Intern at UBS you will receive hands on experience working within a world class Global Technology organization with over 10,000 IT professionals worldwide. In doing so, you will gain valuable experience in the use of cutting edge technologies that are highly prevalent throughout the financial services industry. You will develop and hone your skills within an established set of UBS lifecycle development methodologies and practices which are recognized for making UBS a global leader in the financial services sector. Through hard work, commitment, dedication, and initiative you will have the opportunity to build a highly successful career as a member of the UBS community.
An IT Software Engineer is responsible for ensuring consistent delivery of business value through all facets of the business application lifecycle. This includes: system specification/design, the writing of quality software, application definition, system modeling, release planning/deployment and finally support and maintenance. In addition, as part of their relationship management responsibilities, an IT Software Engineer will actively participate in the all facets of their client’s IT requirements analysis to help them determine the solution that best fits their business needs. Additional responsibilities include:
• Effectively explaining technology solutions to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Participating in the ongoing planning of business objectives and their subsequent translation into technology solutions.
• Gathering business requirements, growing self knowledge of the financial services industry, and participating in technical design and architecture decisions.
• Contributing to and executing various testing paradigms (i.e. designing unit tests, working with centralized Quality Assurance teams, etc…).
• Ongoing use of a pragmatic approach in various design paradigms (UML, agile approaches).
• The writing of performant, simple, understandable code, with strong mentorship from experts in the field.
• Implementing cutting edge solutions in Java, C# and C++ plus others.
• Maintaining knowledge/consistent application of relevant design patterns.
• Understanding and operating within the UBS IT change management framework (i.e. QA ==> UAT ==> Production).
• Provision of 2nd line support for all managed IT applications.
Attractions of the Role/Environment:
• Exposure to the business through partnership and close cooperation with end users.
• Frequent engagement with internal technical teams and business partners around the world.
• Supportive culture that promotes innovation and cooperation within/across both IT and business streams.
• Strong focus on career development with exposure to a wide range of financial services business areas, technical systems and cutting edge technologies.
• Participation in a formalized Group Technology Graduate Training Program with diverse graduates from around the world.
Summer Intern Program:
The Summer Internship Program lasts 10 weeks. In addition to the experience and education acquired on the job, interns have the opportunity to participate in a speaker series covering various areas of UBS technology, educational seminars, and various social and networking events.
Positions are available in Stamford, CT; New York, NY, Jersey City, NJ and Weehawken, NJ.Your Training Program. Our world-class training prepares you to be successful. An internship gives you the opportunity to explore our career potential. You gain invaluable experience working on real projects alongside top industry professionals. Exposure to a range of challenging tasks and environments broadens your professional skills and your personal ambitions.
All Candidates must be enrolled in a 4 year Bachelor’s degree program, Master’s degree program or an international equivalent with a graduation date between December 2011 and June 2012. Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above required.
We look for candidates with superior technical ability, proven ability to learn and to adapt rapidly, ability to grasp business concepts and apply technology for business advantage and a proven ability to excel in a high pressure team environment.
• Finance, Quantitative or Computer Science academic background preferred
• Strong communications and interpersonal skills as exhibited through extracurricular activities, internships and academic projects
• Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
• Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
• Strong initiative and ownership
• Experience in application development
• Financial Services domain exposure preferred, but not required
How to Apply:
Disclaimer / Policy Statements UBS is an equal opportunity employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our workforce.
Click on the link below to apply for the above internship:
Country: Connecticut, United States